Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mencari jodoh filem



It ain’t really that hard to decide on what story I want to tell. What is hard is actually how to tell it. But i have a good story for this year’s festival and there is this burning in my gut that tells me to pitch it to KOMAS. 
 

The story’s been going around in my head for some time. I know exactly what kind of angle it should be. Probably because I wrote about it when I was in the NST sometime in September 2009. Due to space constraints I wasn’t able to really explore it in depth. I wrote about one aspect of the story and how it tied into the rise of the Malay supremacist movement. But the article concentrated on whether this small but world-infamous protest was a sign that the movement was gaining traction.
 

There was another side of the story that needed telling and I decided that film would be the medium.

I thought about going at it alone. I had asked my good friend Halim, who i've done two films with and he was like:

“Awww dude, why don’t we do another adaptation. I have this great book man about what it feels like to be the “other woman” in a relationship. I mean this is the story of the “other side man”.
 

“Dude let’s do that man. Let’s do that. It’d be awesome”.
 

‘Awesome’ in the same way that eating a whole bunch of strange mushrooms would feel ‘awesome’. But I wasn’t in the mood for shrooms.  
 

Halim was also in Kelantan so that made it difficult to do it together. 



But I felt that I didn’t want to go at it alone. Not because I wouldn’t be able to hack it alone but because I wanted a fresh perspective on the subject. Someone who could see the dimensions of the story that I didn’t see.

And so began the great quest of “Mencari jodoh filem”.

No comments:

Post a Comment